What to Expect on Your Hair Journey
The Parlor Beauty Squad was invited backstage for another season at New York Fashion Week! Serving the Aveda makeup team under the leadership of Global Artistic Director of Makeup, Janell Geason, we had front row and behind-the-scenes access to fashion’s biggest stage. We’re here to bring the trends to you before they hit the streets! Keep reading for insider tips on upcoming trends in makeup and our favorite products to get glowing skin.
Want a little extra indulgence? Moments of Wellness: A great option for a busy lifestyle. Just order up additional pampering with your hair service and enhance your relaxation and perhaps save the trip to the spa. Treatments are a 15 to 25 minute experience, they can be added to your haircut treatment or performed during your color processing time. A selection of services are performed at our “reclining” chair for added comfort and relaxation. Try something new—with instant results!
Balance An extra long shampoo incorporating Aveda’s Balancing Aroma’s. (additional 10 minutes head massage) $25
Glow Aveda’s Perfecting Plant Peel™ system (powered by plants) performs like a 30% glycolic peel – naturally and without the redness and irritation. (20 to 25 minute treatment) $35
Renew Our mini-eye treatment that helps skin boost its natural collagen production, minimizes the appearance of lines and wrinkles and reduces the appearance of puffiness and dark circles.(15 to 20 minute treatment) $25
Botanical Hair and Scalp Therapy Plant micro technology penetrates your hair strands for intense moisture or repair with customized treatments to meet your personal needs -restoring balance to the ecosystem of your hair.
Add to another in salon service $40 additional 15 minutes,or come in for a full one hour treatment. (includes scalp remedy and blowout) $95
Special gift of an experience size AVEDA’s new Tulasara Wedding Eye Cream Overnight or Tulasara Wedding Masque Overnight creme for face. Continue reading
We recently had a client who had spent two weeks in the hospital with sensors glued to her scalp. When she was discharged, her beautiful, long, curly hair was matted up beyond belief. The hospital gave her a few glue-remover wipes and no advice about how to restore her hair, so she came to Parlor seeking help. After four and a half hours of detangling, we ultimately had to cut her hair. She left with an adorable pixie cut that earned her ample compliments at her follow-up appointment with the hospital. This situation was definitely on the more extreme side, but everyone has had to deal with tangles at some point in their life. Here are a few tips on how to manage what can seem like the unmanageable.
- Working Wet
- Wet hair has more slip, but it’s also more prone to breakage
- Use a heavy duty conditioner that not only coats the outside of the hair to lubricate the knots, but also strengthens and moisturizes the hair to increase elasticity
- Make sure the hair stays thoroughly saturated with both water and conditioner during the entire process
- Bottom to Top
- Work in small sections starting at the ends
- Don’t move up the hair shaft until the ends have been completely de-tangled, otherwise the knots will just tighten
- Severe Matting
- Loosen large mattes with your fingers before using a brush or comb
- Make sure the water and conditioner fully penetrates to the center of the matte (think of it like a sponge; if you put soap and water on the surface of a sponge then it will just sit there, but if you squeeze it then you will see suds coming out from all sides of it)
- Gently pull apart from the outer edges, working your way from the bottom up the matte until the entire section is loose enough to comb out
- Removing Adhesives
- Do your research first; different adhesives have different solvents
- Some adhesives can be broken down by acetone; a gentle option for the hair is an acetone nail polish remover with aloe, but be sure to moisturize afterwards
- Some adhesives are broken down by oils; mineral oil is the best options, but olive oil or baby oil are decent alternatives. At Parlor, we use Aveda Composition Oils.
- Some adhesives cannot be dissolved, so the only thing to do is lubricate the hair and work gently and patiently with a fine toothed comb
- When to Cut
- If your hair seems to be breaking instead of de-tangling
- If a matted section is completely solid; if you squeeze it and it has no give, it cannot be loosened by pulling it apart at the edges, or water doesn’t seem to penetrate it
- If an adhesive won’t dissolve or loosen with lubrication
- Always see a professional at this point; they will be able to use their judgement and skill to cut the least amount of hair necessary and leave you with a style that suits you
- Always brush hair after washing it
- Long hair should be contained while you sleep, especially if it’s wet; try braids or a loose bun
- Invest in quality hair care and regular trims to keep hair healthy
Hair and Makeup styles crafted by the Parlor Beauty Squad
To celebrate the closing of Earth Month, Parlor joins Clean Ocean Action (COA) each year and hosts a local beach clean-up. Our mission: To remove and record debris from local waterways, spread awareness, and make a positive impact… Oh, and we have FUN while doing it! Continue reading
Hello Parlor Dolls!
The Parlor Beauty Squad was backstage at NYFW for the Fall/Winter 2016/2017 season creating makeup looks for the runway. Our makeup artists brought back tips, tricks, and upcoming trends to share with our followers!
Winter is here in NYC and with the frigid temperature comes dry skin. Not only is dry skin unsightly, it can be uncomfortable and even painful. Below, the Parlor Beauty Squad shares their favorite tips and tricks for defending against the effects of the winter weather on our dermis.
by Christopher, Aveda Makeup Artist at Parlor & Parlor in Brooklyn
Cuticles Massage on to help condition cuticles.
Hands and Feet Soften your dry skin.
Bath Drop aromatic oil into your bath.
Makeup Cleanser Apply a few drops to moistened skin and gently massage. Works great to dissolve stubborn mascara and eye makeup
Body Seal in your moisture after your bath or shower.
Scalp Nourish and condition your scalp.
Massage Enjoy aromatic massage
Neck and Shoulders Relieve muscle tension after a long day.
Aroma Apply to neck and wrists to feel centered.